Capacity development is one of the major services rendered by IITA Youth Agripreneurs. IYA builds the capacity of young entrepreneurs into professional agribusiness enterprise owners. We facilitate the establishment of solid and thriving agribusiness enterprises, while developing the strong-wills of entrepreneurs into a self-sustainable one.
Our focus is based on, but not limited to the designing and facilitating of the following training modules.
- Entrepreneurship development
- Project Administration
- Financial Management in Projects
- Leadership and Business Management skills
- ICT in Agribusiness
- Proposal development
- Post-harvest Mechanization
- Crop production and farm mechanization
How we do this
IYA adopt the use of systemic approach to build the capacity of our trainees. The use of this approach help builds sustainable skills and knowledge of our clients majorly young farmers who intend to establish self-sustaining agribusiness enterprises. This can be done through the following:
- Needs Assessment Analysis for prospective trainees
- Define the goals, objectives and content of the training program
- Program design
- Facilitate the program: some of the major methods used during program facilitation:
- Brainstorming to identify new ideas and explore attitudes
- Case Studies to identify solutions based on real-life situations
- Debates to explore different points of view
- Demonstrations to explain or teach skills
- Discussion to share knowledge and explore options
- Field Trips to give practical experience and to learn about identified subjects on the field
- Lectures to convey information in brief periods of time
- Reflection to debrief sessions and to conduct evaluation
- Role-Plays to identify solutions and to engage participants
- Simulations to identify solutions and to engage participants
- Videos to provide visuals and aid learning
- Program Evaluation
Our experience so far
For about three years, IYA through partnerships with private, public and international organisations has carried out a well-defined training program for youths in Nigeria and across Africa, particularly at few IITA hubs and stations.
- We have collaborated withN2Africa project to train youths from the southern part of Borno State on “Sustainable agronomic practices and Entrepreneurial skills in Agribusiness. Click here to read more
- We have trained youths from Cross-Rivers State Click here to read more.
- Under the High Quality Cassava Flour project of IITA, IYA has trained about 100 youths.
- Training of 80 National Youth Service Corp members.